I always tend to get what I want (and if I can't get it, I tend to change what I want - you know, like how I decided I wanted to be a writer instead of a brain surgeon after I discovered that you kind of need to be able to see beyond the end of your nose to do surgery...).
Seriously though, yeah, I do get everything I want, eventually. I have a knack for it. Sometimes though, I forget how lucky I am with this, and sometimes I forget that I don't always get everything I want straight away, which - for the most impatient person in the world - can be hard to live with... Or maybe it's just hard for other people to live with me while I'm working on getting what I want.
I'm a bit of a believer in Law of Attraction. In fact, I believed in Law of Attraction before some clever marketing person coined the term. However, I think sometimes the concept of Law of Attraction is oversimplified and turned into some sort of wishing well of good luck. I so often hear people say that all you need to do is believe something will happen and then sit back and wait for it to come to you.
I'm pretty sure this is not how the world or the Universe or forces that be work. The reason I'm sure of that is because everything is always in perfect balance. For everything always be in perfect balance, you have to give as much as you get. So, tossing a coin into a well and then going and having a siesta under a tree while you just wait for the Universe to provide seems out of balance to me. What's that old saying, "God helps those to help themselves"? To which my mother-in-law always adds, "And God helps those caught helping themselves!"
Anyway, that was my rather long-winded way of getting to this week's list of 10 Thing Tuesday. This week I want to share some of my secrets to getting everything I want, so you can do it too, because I'm just that kind of generous person, right?
10 Ways To Get What You Want...
1. Know what you want. Be clear about what you want, it may be a small thing, it may be grandiose but know what it is; what it looks like, feels like, how much it costs (financially and emotionally). Be clear because otherwise you might get easily sidetracked, and being sidetracked never gets you there! It may take a little while to figure out exactly what you want - that's okay - it's not a race!
2. Find out how others have gotten what you want. Find other people who have what you want and read about them, or go listen to them talk, or best of all talk to them. Find out how they got what you want (no, really, it didn't just land in their lap - there are no overnight successes, there really aren't...). When you know how other people got what it is you want to get, you will have a better idea of how you want to go about getting it - and you might not like how other people got what you want which is good, too, because it'll allow you to find your own path and be innovative!
3. Figure out your obstacles. Um, if what you want costs money, don't tell me that being broke is your obstacle! There are plenty of people around the world who have achieved their financially expensive obstacles despite not having a lot of personal wealth. Think of Olympians, or even better disabled Olympians, who have to convince their community that their dream is worthwhile and then raise money to get over to the Olympics while also training and qualifying. Sometimes our biggest obstacles are our own doubt or our own desire to have life served up to us on a platter. Getting what you want can sometimes be hard work (okay, most of time) but keep thinking about how happy you'll be once you've got it!
4. Plot your path to what you want. My husband loves the saying that goes "Perfect Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance" (he doesn't always engage this saying, but he sure loves to say it!). Some people like to write lists (like me, hence this meme), some people like to draw, or keep a vlog, whatever works for you - plot your path, have a plan, it will make everything seem much more clear and manageable and achievable.
5. Break that path into manageable steps. Unless your goal is to have a sandwich for lunch and you have all the ingredients at your finger tips, chances are it ain't gonna happen instantly. Sometimes looking at the ultimate goal can be overwhelming and can cause a feeling of inertia. Break you plan into bight sized pieces, have mini goals and focus on those, tick each one off and then move on to the next one and before you know it your ultimate goal will be within reach!
6. Ask for help. Here's a big secret revealed for you - please pass it on. THERE ARE NO MEDALS! That's another way of saying, don't try to do it all on your own. The most successful people in the world had help, either through mentoring or directly through hands on help. Don't try to do it all yourself, you'll wear yourself into the ground and then you won't have the stamina to make it to the end point. Like a marathon runner; pace yourself and accept those bottles of water on the way to replenish you. Delegate what you can - you are the manager of your life and all good managers know how to delegate!
7. Give of yourself, selflessly. The most successful people in the world are generous people! Who doesn't love a generous person? When someone does something for you, don't you just want to go out of your way to help them, too? Be generous, help others, share of yourself. When you have success, share it, tell others how you got there and how they can do it, too! Give a helping hand to someone who is where you used to be. Have compassion. Remember: everything is a perfect balance, so give to receive and receive to give!
8. Keep you eye on the goal and don't become disheartened. My favourite children's book in all the world is a Dr Seuss book "Oh, The Places You'll Go"... So much wisdom in this book - let me share a bit;
You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed.(Wasn't he brilliant? Just love his work!) So, sometimes things will seem to be against you, sometimes for a long while, but you've just got to keep going and taking tiny steps until you get through the darklands and come out the other side and feel the wind behind your sail again - it won't always be a cake walk and sometimes you'll feel discouraged but keep picking yourself up and moving along your planned path and you will get there!
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
Except when you don't
Because, sometimes, you won't.
I'm sorry to say so
but, sadly, it's true
can happen to you.
9. Keep living in the now and noticing and enjoying what you already have. There's a saying, "Life is what happens while we're making plans", don't forget to live life! This is one I have to remind myself of all the time. The destination is exciting and something to look forward to but if you only keep your eye on the goal, you'll miss all the wonderful going on around on the way there. You can't get that stuff back, so be sure you don't wake up at your goal and realise you missed your life!
10. Stay calm, have faith, know you can do it! This is the bit so many people selling Law of Attraction skip to. Know you can do it because if you do the first nine things on the list you will achieve your goal, whatever it is!