I've been meaning to join in Five Sentence Fiction over at Lillie McFerrin Writes since I heard about it a couple of weeks ago, but as per usual I look away for a moment and forget (maybe I have Silences in my life, ooh wobbly-wobbly, timey-wimey!). Anyway, finally I've been able to keep this new bit of fun in my head long enough to accept the challenge! Here is Lillie's blurb about the exercise:
What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the inspiration word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just take your inspiration from that word.
This week’s inspiration word is: SHENANIGANS
1. I didn't really notice them until the metal-on-metal sound of cutlery being rifled through broke through my concentration and brought my hearing into sharp focus.
2. 'No, not that one, the big one.' came the hissed whisper from the older boy who was undoubtedly gesturing with exaggerated flailing of his skinny brown arms, as he was wont to do when trying to go unnoticed.
3. 'It's not here, if you don't believe me, then you try to find it.' the smaller one with the ripe-mango coloured bed-head whispered back, part anxious, part pissed.
4. 'What are you two up to?' I said in a low and quiet voice.
5. The shuffle of thong clad feet and the loud banging of the back screen door was accompanied by a squeaky chorus of, 'Nothing!'
Anyone with children will be familiar with shenanigans, and possibly also very familiar with the scene described above! This was fun! Trying to tell a story in just five sentence really forces you to distill your thought and draw out the essences of your narrative!
Why not have a go! Don't forget to link your post up over at Lillie's blog so I can read it, too!