'Mum, I need to wee!'
'Dad, I need a glass of water!'
We've all heard them all before, the numerous excuses older children come up with to prolong the process of getting off to sleep.
After a number of glasses of water being needed, I bought the boys a drink bottle each to take to bed. I also policed their toileting before bed.
We've always parented to sleep, but even so, the amount of antics can get unbearable at times. I thought I'd share my 10 favourite less common excuses the boys have come up with as reasons they absotively posilutely cannot get to sleep!
1. From Bryn: I just need to know if you're going to make me a Ben10 birthday cake for my next birthday (in 8 months time).
2. From Erik: I'm too hot, I can't feel any breeze from my fan (which is standing literally 20cm away from my bed and directed straight onto me at gail force blast).
3. From Each boy at one time or another: It's not night time yet (at 8pm during day light saving - I have cursed day light saving more times than I care to recount).
4. From Luey: Bryn keeps answering me whenever I ask him a question - he's keeping me awake!
5. From Erik: I can't sleep in a room with two other people (having slept in a cabin with six other people at school camp just the week before).
6. From Bryn: But I need to check if the tooth fairy has taken my tooth yet (it's still in his mouth...).
7. From Erik: Mum, I just thought you might want me to kill some mobs for you so you can get some bone meal to grow grass on Minecraft (two hours after I sent him to bed).
8. From Luey: Erik farted, and then Bryn farted and now I can't breathe in there anymore.
9. From Erik: Luey farted, too, it was his idea in the first place!
10. From Luey: My fingers keep getting stuck in my knotty hair! (when I told him I was going to give him a reverse mohawk, he rolled his eyes at me and said, 'No! I'll just brush it!').
What out of the ordinary reasons has your child given for not being able to go to sleep yet?