I feel all tingly and energetic and full of the possibilities of a new year! It is quite a buzz.
This year I'm looking forward to:
- Seeing Ari off to school for the first time ever! The child has grown up attending the primary school as a 'baby brother at the school gate', most days, since he was a newborn. He basically feels as if he owns the place already. He was very happy to hear, this morning, that he starts school this year! He wanted to know if he could go to school today.
- Seeing Lukas off to high school. It'll be a new and different world for him, but he seems willing to embrace it despite not having any friends going to the same school. I think it helps that his two best friends from primary are also going to different schools from one another, so they're all in the same boat. Lukas is very excited to be learning to play the guitar (he'll spend at least three hours a week at school doing this, as well as practice time at home, so he ought to be playing something by the end of the first term.
- Completely my colloquium in about May - I have a date for early May but have heard these things can be delayed a few weeks as people's schedules tend to be rearranged. I know I'll be done by the 3rd of June, because I only have 12 months to complete it in. It's a bit scary - you know, presenting your theory and research in front of a panel is never going to be a cake walk - but once I'm done I'll be a proper 'candidate' and that is very exciting!
- Hopefully getting my novel published this year! Nothing is set in stone, of course, but it is looking very promising that 2014 will be the year I can officially add 'novelist' to my titles, woo hoo!
- Hopefully getting work! Once I have my colloquium, I will hopefully be offered tutoring work at the University, that is the very first rung on what I hope will be my illustrious career in academia! I'm very excited at that prospect!
- Doing more painting! My brother gave me a huge canvas for Christmas on which to paint him a commissioned piece. I'm a bit nervous about it, but at the same time, I'm keen to have a go - see if I can rise to the challenge!
|Don't look now, but it's a blank canvas metaphor!|
It's going to be a great year!